A Transitional, Self-Run, and Affordable healing village for the unhoused
Santosha is a vision of a beautiful village of private, tiny homes for the homeless. Imagine a place you can call home with a gathering space, a community kitchen, a vegetable garden, and more. Residents will play an integral role in running the village. The cost to join? Only $2 per day.
We are currently in need of both monetary and material donations as well as 6,000 square feet of land to begin our pilot village. Each house only costs $2,500 to build. Lend a hand if you can!
We have identified a 1-acre plot of land in New Orleans East that we hope to purchase. We are working to conduct a formal land survey and meeting with skilled professionals to help us through the design and permitting of the Village. We are also currently conducting outreach to the image neighbors, schools, and business to both introduce our organization and seek their their support and engagement in the process.
Why Santosha Village?
Challenges of Traditional Shelters
- Lack of Privacy (dorm-style living)
- Lack of Storage of personal belongings
- Limited Stay
- You have to pack up and Leave every morning
Advantages of Village
- All the advantages of having a private dwelling unit, with storage, basic electric and water etc.
- Stay for as long as a year
- No mandate to leave all day
- Focused on self reliance and communal living
How will it work?
5 village rules:
- No violence
- No theft
- No alcohol or illegal drugs on-site
- No persistent, disruptive behavior
- Everyone must contribute to the operation and maintenance of the Village.
Each villager gives:
- $30–60/month utility fee
- 8 hours/week front desk duty
- 2 hours/week towards community improvement
- Clean community bathroom once a month
- Attendance at weekly village meeting
Each villager gets:
- A small, safe and private space to call your own
- Access to common kitchen, bath, laundry, gathering, and workshop facilities
- Access to Mental Wellness and Micro-Business Assistance programming
- Computer and wi-fi access
- Monthly Bus Pass
A Proven Concept
Opportunity Village in Eugene Oregon already has a homeless village running in this model! The city and a residents have partnered to build a 30 home shelter which has performed really well. Learn more about Opportunity Village.
The village is run by SquareOne Villages, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating self-managed communities of cost-effective tiny homes for people in need of housing. They have 3 villages currently in operation.